Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Another post *gasp*

Today we went on a bike ride with no particular destination. We ended up at a park, and then on the way back we encountered a rattle snake sunning itself in the middle of the bike trail. The cows were out at the U of A farm, so we stopped by to see them too and Kyle had his own cow audience right up at the fence; we could've petted them! A college aged girl we had passed on the bike (she was jogging), stopped next to us and commented "It's so great you take your kid around to do this kind of stuff on your bike". This struck me as funny, but something I totally could hear myself saying when I was her age, single, and had not a clue about getting out of the house with a toddler in tow. I commented back, "Beats the cost of gas".

Did I tell you we're working on getting Kevin to work earlier? Yep. He has graciously gone to work around 9 ever since Kyle was born and I guess it is about time that welcome mat was rolled up! However, it is taking me about double the time to get Kyle and me up and ready in the mornings without an extra set of adult hands. Also, ever since Kevin went away for the weekend a couple weeks ago, Kyle has been super clingy with me. So, before, where he would happily play in the house while I did other things, he now falls apart if I'm not within touching distance. We're working on it, but I was totally not expecting this "Mom I'm going to die if you're not right here" stage. At the zoo last week, he stayed in the sling for 1 1/2 hours while we walked around and looked at animals; didn't even ask to get down. That has not happened since this time last year I'd say (and my back the next morning agreed).

So, we do everything together lately and it doesn't look like I'll be relieved soon since Kevin is heading to Germany next week. My hope is that Kyle won't redouble his efforts when Kevin leaves again; I wonder if he's worried I'll disappear too.

I should either clean or go to bed. Kyle has been waking up between 11 and 12 having lost his binkies and requesting a drink of water. You try to pretend you're still asleep with a kid screaming over the monitor! It's much easier to grab the sippy cup, find the binkies, kiss that blond head, and tell him it's time for mommy to go back to bed.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Hey, Ellie went through that stage too! Luckily she's coming out of it now. Hopefully Kyle will do the same!