Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Growing up

My Kyle,

You do the funniest things lately! You prefer to sleep in your IKEA tent, on our hard concrete floor, in your sleeping bag, every night. In the morning, you ask daddy "Why did you move me to my bunk bed?". Daddy and I have both caught you with your head in the toilet singing goodbye to your pee pee's as they flush down the drain (although, you no longer do this in front of me because I explained to you that the toilet throws up pee pee splash when you flush and it's yucky to have on your face). Some mornings, you walk in to our bedroom, while I'm still in bed taking my meds and eating, and you say "Good morning baby", just like your daddy says to me. I reply with "Good morning Kyle" and you say "Good morning mommy". We have conversations that sound almost grown up, "How are you this morning?" "Did you have any dreams last night?" "Where am I going today?"

The other day in the car you thought you had it all figured out: "Oh I get it! So you get our baby from the doctor!". We were talking about well check ups because your friend Gabriel went to get his 3 year old check up and I told you how we would go to a lot of appts. like that after Micah was born. But we talked more and I think you know now that Micah is going to be a part of our family forever (whatever forever is for a 3 year old) and hopefully born in the room where we had you, at the birth center. You kiss and hug my growing belly everyday. Now that you know Micah can hear you, you talk to him too.

We sometimes look for clothes for your brother when we are out and about during the week. You pull every outfit off the racks and tell me what you think of it! It's adorable. You also want to know if we can buy you a shirt too, if Micah gets something, lol. I can see the effects of having a sibling already subtly effecting you!

Daddy felt Micah move for the first time last night and I think you'll be able to feel/see him move soon too. I'm interested to hear what you say or see what you do the first time it happens! It's so much fun being pregnant with you around, understanding so much, and wanting to know about your baby brother. You like to go in "Micah's closet", the extra closet in your bedroom where we've been storing his clothes and gear. You enjoy pulling everything out and asking if you used this or that when you were a baby.

I love you so much Kyle and treasure everyday I have with you, just us, before Micah arrives. I know things have been different since we found out Micah was coming, and you've had to make a lot of changes, but I'm so proud of the little boy you are becoming and am confident you will be an amazing big brother.

With love,
Mommy

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Aw, so sweet!

Bri said...

Wonderful letter, Mindy. It is so encouraging for me to read about how Kyle is navigating your pregnancy as a three year old; we'd like to wait until Gracie is 3 to have another baby, and I have been so very worried about what it would be like to have a toddler with a new baby. I know people do it all the time, but of course, it feels very daunting to think about doing it myself! I am so looking forward to hearing all about Micah's arrival and Kyle's role as a big brother. All my love to you! Hope you are well!