Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 17, 2005

The appt plus a little info...

Just so you know, I really did write a nice, long, detailed account of our doctor's appt and then it disappeared in to cyberspace when I clicked "Publish". So here is my latest update with a little of the doctor's appt thrown in!

The doctor's appt went well. We basically sat down and talked to the midwife, received lots of great information, found out they have a resource and video library available, in addition to group prenatal care! After we talked, she asked if we'd like to try to hear the heartbeat. I assumed we'd definitely hear the heartbeat this time, but she told us that it is very rare to hear it this early on (7 1/2 weeks). We both agreed that the grandmas wouldn't be satisfied if we hadn't at least tried to hear the heartbeat, so I laid down and she took out a microphone looking device. She moved it all over my abdomen, but all we really heard was static from her moving the device around. Then she went real low on my stomach and I think she gasped, then Kevin and I realized what we were listening to! She counted the beats and our baby's heart was going 160 beats/minute. It was so encouraging to hear the heartbeat...I figured I could now survive my blood work after hearing that heart going pitter patter all nice and strong.

After she had answered ALL of our questions, it was time for the blood work. I sucked on some hard candy and Kevin let me squeeze and claw at him the whole time. It's always more psychological for me, then true pain. I was assured that there probably wouldn't be anymore labs, unless I chose certain optional tests in the future.

As far as this weekend, we were in Phoenix because Kevin was in a wedding there. I stayed at Pam and Jerry's and was really, really sick. I don't know if it was the car ride, the change of scenery or what, but I just was not doing well. We came home Sunday and I was still in the throes of nausea. A few things I did pick up though were a long body pillow for making my sleep more comfortable and a huge bottle of Tums.

However, today was looking up. I made it downstairs and kept all of my meals down (YEA!). Chewing gum has become my new best friend as it seems to curb my sick stomach when it really gets going. Also, I've discovered Gatorade...the only drink that I can actually drink often and not throw up over.

Kevin goes back to school tomorrow and I'll be on my own again...everyday he goes in between 8 and 9 and doesn't get home until 5, so it's really a long time after having him here all Christmas break! We've received a lot of congratulations and encouragement since announcing our big news to family and friends! Here's to actually sleeping tonight!

No comments: