Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The beginning of the story...

Giving birth was the most difficult and most rewarding experience I've had in my entire life.

Labor and delivery went really well. I was in good, consistent labor for 15-16 hours before Kyle was born. Our doula was amazing and I'm not sure I would've coped so well without her! I labored at home for the first half, then when we arrived at the birth center I was already 5-6 centimeters and 100% effaced. I hopped in the whirlpool tub and finished up to 10 centimeters in there, in addition to having my water broken while I was in the tub. After that I got out of the tub because Kyle needed some help from gravity to descend a little bit. I continued to labor using a birth ball, sitting backwards on a toilet propped up with pillows, on a birthing stool, and eventually gave birth in the bed laying on my side.

There were a few harrowing moments, that I was pretty much unaware of until after the birth. I did notice that as I was learning/starting to push that the midwife seemed to be having trouble getting a good reading on Kyle's heartbeat. Then I heard her tell another midwife that there was meconium in the toilet I had been laboring on, even though my waters had been clear when she initially broke them. As I moved to the bed to continue pushing, the midwives were telling me that I had to push him out NOW! Then there was a lot of commotion and all of a sudden there are like 3 midwives and 3 nurses in the room and I have an oxygen mask being put over my face. Now the midwives are pretty much yelling at me that he has to come out NOW! I remember pushing 3 times before Kyle was out. Kevin says it was definitely less than 6 pushes before he was out and that my tone of voice changed immediately after he was born, "There you are baby!".

Kevin watches them un-wrap the cord from Kyle's neck (it was wrapped around twice). Then Kyle was thrown up on my chest and I realize I'm waving an oxygen tube in front of his face. He's crying! The sweetest sound I've ever heard were those cries. He pinks right up from the crying and a few minutes later Kevin cuts the cord.

To be continued... (Time to feed baby :)

No comments: